Special Guest Blogger

Monday, April 21, 2008
I got my name in Romancing the Blog! It was so exciting to see Linda Kage listed right there under the authors blog column.

Felt like I was a real writer or something. So, check it out. Last week, I read an agent's blog about how we should make mistakes. Her point was to get out there and do something and don't be so worried about doing it wrong. If you make a mistake, it's okay because at least you tried. The whole article made me feel better because I'd been there before and already plowed through my share of mistakes. But I think it's about time I do something right. So, I've gotten myself a critique partner, and it's not just my sister this time (who has to at least act like she loves my work or I'll disown her). And now I wish I could've had this partner ten years ago. I'm quickly learning that no matter how polished I think something is, it can always be better. Why settle for okay when you can be great, huh?

When I first started writing, I had no interest in joining writing or critique groups. I thought I could do it all on my own. I didn't need to enter contests or go to conferences. My outstanding stories would get me all the publishers I wanted, right? Wrong. When I realized I needed more help and actually wanted to get it, I thought I'd be too shy to join all these programs. But once again, I was wrong. A lot can be done over the internet and you never even have to speak to another person. And they really are worth your while. So, I suggest anyone interested in pursuing writing should definitely look into writing groups in their area and in their genre. It really does make things easier... so easy, in fact, it kind of feels like you're using a cheat sheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment