The Writing High

Thursday, July 10, 2008
Maybe I don't get out much but, to me, the ultimate high is that very moment I finish writing the last word on one of my stories. Picture that scene in Romancing the Stone when Joan Wilder concludes her novel at the beginning of the movie. "Oh, God! That's good," she cries and goes in search of a kleenex. Well, that's right on. I've never actually bawled before but I've definitely expererieced the euphoria.

Of course, then I'll go back later and wonder, "What the heck was I thinking to write this crap?" And I'll have to change a bunch of stuff and lose my ego high. But we're not going there today. Today it's all about the feeling of finishing your creation. This is why I love to write so much. When I tie up something I've been working on for weeks, or sometimes months, nothing tops the accomplishment and pride that pulses through me. Writing "The End" makes all the tough parts worth it. And with that, I'm going to start a new story so I can complete it.

No comments:

Post a Comment