Full Manuscript News!

Thursday, October 2, 2008
I might've been onto something yesterday. After commenting (And, yes, let's definitely call it "commenting" because otherwise we'd have to say I was outright whining) about the fact that I hadn't heard from a publisher in a while, I suggested maybe they'd all passed out because they thought my work was so absolutely stupendous (Oh, yeah. That's still a ridiculously funny thought).

So, anyway, one of those editors must've revived herself because she contacted me this morning. What a coincidence, huh? If only I'd waited one more day to whine--I mean, comment--then I wouldn't have needed to say anything at all.

Yes, I know what you're thinking. Get on with the news already. What'd the woman say? Well, hold your horses. Let the suspense build a moment. I need to give background information first so you can feel the full effect as I felt it.

Alright, then. If you've kept up with my blog, then you might've read that about two months ago a publisher finally asked to read one of my full manuscripts, and then a few days later another publisher wanted to read another completed story. I'm not sure if I shared, but a third publisher asked for a third story a few weeks after that. It was that third publisher who emailed me today.

Since sending out full manuscripts is new to me, I have no idea what the protocol is once an editor has finished reading my story. I figured I'd get "The Call" if they liked it and wanted to publish it and I'd received a Dear John Letter if it was rejected.

When I saw an email from the third publisher with "The Stillburrow Crush" in the title line, I was sure I'd just received a rejection. Bluck. But I opened the letter anyway and, Holy Cow. She said she enjoyed--let me repeat, SHE ENJOYED--my story and she's sending it on to another review panel.

Therefore, no, I didn't sell a story today, but I didn't get a rejection either (always a plus). I moved one step closer to my goal (which is to get published, by the way, if you weren't aware). I'm absolutely on cloud nine. I don't recall visiting clouds one through eight, but nine feels very fine. I think I'll stay a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment