Fav quotes for MY story...gasp.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011
So I was browsing Amazon.com and checking my sales rank for my ebook, The Stillburrow Crush.

Yeah, yeah, I know. I need to get a life.

But seriously, my young adult story has actually been selling copies there. In fact, I did a little keyword search on Amazon for my publishing house and sorted their books by bestseller. For a while, The Stillburrow Crush waffled between number one and two. As I write this post, it's currently #6 (I'm not lying!).

So this morning, I checked my bestselling rank like I always do. It was just under 4,000. Woot! My other stories usually rank around 100-200K, so YES 4K is totally awesome in my book--pun intended. And as I leisurely scrolled down the screen I noticed a section called popular highlights.

Huh? I paused. What's This? I pushed the "what's this?" button (imagine that) and here's what Amazon told me:
Amazon displays Popular Highlights by combining the highlights of all Kindle customers and identifying the passages with the most highlights. The resulting Popular Highlights help readers focus on passages that are meaningful to the greatest number of people. Some books don't have enough highlighting in them to have Popular Highlights...


Can you totally believe that? Some readers actually LIKE some of my lines enough to freaking HIGHLIGHT them. So, now I simple must share some of my fans' favorite quotes in The Stillburrow Crush (wow, I have fans--still can't believe that).


============================================

TSC Popular Highlights on Kindle

“Sometimes, the Lord just takes blessed people because they’ve filled their purpose early. Everyone plays their own song. They sing their story to the world and leave behind a melody of memories. Sometimes…their song is cut short and ends too early. But that doesn’t mean their music was any less sweet or that they left any less of an impression.” highlighted by 30 Kindle users

“Be careful,” I said, closing my eyes. “If you get too close, you might slip and fall for me.” highlighted by 16 Kindle users

I’d just given a part of my soul away to Luke Carter, whether he knew or wanted it, or not. highlighted by 10 Kindle users

I wanted to throw my arms around him and kiss him all over his face, but being me of course, I had to tease him first. highlighted by 8 Kindle users

"Every other girl in school thinks you’re the hottest thing since the microwave.” highlighted by 7 Kindle users


============================================


From now on, I'm so going to highlight my favorite quotes in the books I read just so I can pass along the love. Thanks to all those wonderful highlighters out there. You totally made my day.

9 comments:

  1. Wow! I bet a great many authors don't know such a thing exists! Fabulous quotes, Linda, I can see why they were highlighted. Makes me want to read it (and I will)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMgosh!!! That's so freaking exciting! Congrats, Linda! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...I didn't these existed. Great quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, this is so awesome! I never knew that feature existed at Amazon, but I'm blown away by your success with this book. Huge congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cool, I didn't know about that quote thingy. And your quotes are so notably quotable. Go Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the numbers!

    I don't own a Kindle, I have a Nook, but I've never paid attention to highlighting lines. I certainly didn't know authors could go back and see what's been hightlighted. That's pretty freaking cool!

    I like the slip and fall for me line!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda-I've been following your rank on Amazon also (for a while, Stillburrow was in the top 3000--and yes, I need to get a life too!) But I had no idea about the highlighting thing--that's pretty much the coolest thing ever! Congrats on your great sales :)

    ReplyDelete